Skip to main content

Technology in Education

Technology is here and has been here for quite some time.  I can for sure say that I love technology.  I like seeing the new phones, tablets, cars, TVs, etc that come out just about every day.  I like that technology is embedded into education to enhance student learning.  If the times are changing, we as teachers need to change with it.  However (you all knew this was coming), is there ever too much screen time?  Does technology necessarily mean they are in front of a screen all the time?  This is the part of technology that I struggle with because I see the zombies that most of the kids are turning into and how they can barely hold a conversation with their peers and it does worry me a bit.

About three weeks ago, the staff got a stern talking to about how the Chromebooks should not be used for the kids to play games on them and if there is unstructured time, they should not be on them. During this same week, we had 8th grade pictures during PE (of course) and the kids were almost shaking because we told them they were not allowed to be on their phones or Chromebooks while they were waiting for their picture to be taken.  It was the most concerning thing to watch because the kids couldn't sit and talk with their friends.  It was the quietest that the gym has ever been.  Is this something to worry about or is this the new norm of our future generations?  How do we as educators make sure that our students still have essential life skills such as conversing face to face?  

Comments

  1. I see EXACTLY what you are talking about with the lack of communication skills! I have students who have a hard time "using their words" with each other and I facilitate conversations daily because of all the "tattling". I feel like kids are no longer being taught basic communication skills and this is now one more thing I feel like we, as teachers, have to be responsible for.

    I also feel like, as I have said before, as a PE teacher I have to do everything I can to get kids away from technology at least a for a little bit...that is part of my struggle in introducing technology in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I think that is concerning if they can't converse with one another without devices. I don't think it's come to that at the junior high level since we do not allow phones or devices except for educational purposes. But at the high school where they are allowed to have phones, I do see how hard it is for them to disconnect longer than 20 minutes. I mean even many of my friends cannot have a face to face conversation without checking their phones. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this something to worry about or is this the new norm of our future generations? How do we as educators make sure that our students still have essential life skills such as conversing face to face?
    Balance is key. Screen time has to be beneficial and instructional. Gametime is never allowed in my class. I use Prodigy Math for any and all down time. Back to the question, I use a lot of group work that involves hands on math. Project based as much as possible. I do lean heavily on the technology. I think I have a good balance though of face to face. For me, it's about how to make math meaningful and most times, that comes from face to face interactions with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Val I could not agree more. It is a fine line we walk between using technology and being student centered and being truly student centered. The use of technology has become so integrated in school that we should now take a step back and think about using it with a purpose. If we do not need to use it then maybe we should not. There is absolute value in putting your Chromebook down and having a group conversation. Schools are the perfect places for these conversations, because we all know that once school is over they (the students) will be back in front of the screen again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val,
    There is a lot of truth to your post I often struggle with how much technology is good for students. Like all things it should be used in moderation and when appropriate. Technology is a tool when it is used effectively it can be a game changer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Boy Administration!

About 7 years ago, I started taking classes to get my administrative licence and 2 weeks into the courses, I realized admin was just not for me.  I love being in front of a class, being silly with my students and making connections with them.  Then, when I took EEND 680, I was dreading it a little. It wasn't about taking a class, I love taking classes and learning, I was dreading it because I knew there were going to be activities where I was going to have to leave the comfort of my gym and explore the "other side".  Enter our "Learning Walk" assignment.  For this assignment, we had to create a form that we would use to go into another classroom and observe what we saw and offer feedback to the teacher.  I can't tell you how scared I was!  The first observation was one of my friends that I am on a team with.  Her name is Michele and she is one of the Spanish teachers at my school.  She was so nice and understanding...Thanks Michele!  At first...

Genius Hour-Bread Making

The art of bread making. I'm not sure which I liked more, making the bread or eating the bread.  There is something to say about homemade bread.  It definitely took me back to my grandma's kitchen when she would make her bread and the house would forever smell like fresh bread. My sister Ellen brought the bread baking back to the family a few months ago when she found herself with too much extra time during the work day.  I know how that sounds but you have to understand a little piece of information about Ellen...she is a very impatient person.  She gets stuff done in an efficient manner which can lead to having a lot of down time, especially since she works from home.  Ellen can and will sit in her home office and just hammer out her work until it's done.  She was finding that she would be done with work in the early afternoon and would have nothing to do.  She found small tasks to occupy her time, but even those she'd get done quickly and still ha...

Hyperdocs 101

I have to admit that I was getting pretty bored with teaching.  I felt like I had hit a plateau and was just going through the motions.  I am pushing on my 15th year teaching.  The excitement of being a new teacher has worn off and it seemed like I was staring down the barrel of 15 more years of boredom.  I definitely needed a boost and a change...enter St. Francis tech courses.  As much as I didn't want to start taking classes, I knew that I needed to.  Not just for the lane change but also for a teaching change.  I had to start making my classes fun and engaging again.  I have enjoyed all the courses so far in this program, however, I felt like I learned the most and got the most out of Engaging e-Learning. Using technology comes easy to me.  My dad is a huge tech guy and I have been on a computer since I was 4 when the old school Atari's were out.  My dad coded a vocabulary game for me to learn my letters and when I would press a ...