Skip to main content

EEND 679 Artifact #2-Goal Setting

When it was time to dive into Module 6, I was very excited to learn the module was all about online portfolios and goal setting. In this particular assignment, we were asked to create a three part plan for our students to self-assess, set a goal and then reflect. I created this Google Sheet for my students to plan out their goals for their fitness tests.  Each quarter, my students participate in the FitnessGram fitness tests.  Before taking this class, I didn't really do much with them. I sent a copy to the district, but after that, I have no idea where they go or what is done with them.  In creating this assignment, I am going to change the way I am do fitness testing. In order to truly allow my students to grow and progress I need to complete the fitness test at least twice a quarter so students can see their growth. Starting in 2nd quarter, I am going to try to implement this goal sheet to one of my classes to see how it goes. My concern is time.  These fitness tests take a full day to complete and there are 4 different tests they need to do. Since I am a quarter class, I only see my students for 9 weeks and fitness testing usually takes a full week to complete.  However, I thought I might try to complete the tests on our set fitness days.  For example, we have two fitness days per week and three sport days per week.  On our fitness days, I would knock out one of tests rather than take the entire week to test them.  If I did it this way, I may be able to get more tests done and my students would have more opportunities to see their growth.  I guess we'll see how it goes and hope for the best!  I do like the goal setting sheet I created. Students will have access to this at all times and they can go back and see how they did on each test and see if they have improved. Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. I think this is such an authentic use of tech for students. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperdocs 101

I have to admit that I was getting pretty bored with teaching.  I felt like I had hit a plateau and was just going through the motions.  I am pushing on my 15th year teaching.  The excitement of being a new teacher has worn off and it seemed like I was staring down the barrel of 15 more years of boredom.  I definitely needed a boost and a change...enter St. Francis tech courses.  As much as I didn't want to start taking classes, I knew that I needed to.  Not just for the lane change but also for a teaching change.  I had to start making my classes fun and engaging again.  I have enjoyed all the courses so far in this program, however, I felt like I learned the most and got the most out of Engaging e-Learning. Using technology comes easy to me.  My dad is a huge tech guy and I have been on a computer since I was 4 when the old school Atari's were out.  My dad coded a vocabulary game for me to learn my letters and when I would press a ...

I.T. is NOT for Teachers-A Reflection

This course was challenging.  There...I said it out loud.  I have so many mixed feelings about this course.  I almost felt I was back in undergrad when I didn't understand anything I was doing.  This course pushed us beyond our comfort zone into the world of IT.  When we, as teachers, are constantly bombarded with new initiatives, programs, software, hardware.  As soon as something new is presented, we have about a month to figure if we can implement it before it's on to the next new thing.  I swear, they should have infomercials to help us understand what is the limited time offer this month.  As much as we complain about it all, I can only imagine what the IT office sounds like when these come down from admin.  The IT staff has to make sure that all of these new programs and equipment run without issue. This means having a plan in place so that everyone is on the same page and understands the expectations. My Tech Plan is a small sample ...

Oh Boy Administration!

About 7 years ago, I started taking classes to get my administrative licence and 2 weeks into the courses, I realized admin was just not for me.  I love being in front of a class, being silly with my students and making connections with them.  Then, when I took EEND 680, I was dreading it a little. It wasn't about taking a class, I love taking classes and learning, I was dreading it because I knew there were going to be activities where I was going to have to leave the comfort of my gym and explore the "other side".  Enter our "Learning Walk" assignment.  For this assignment, we had to create a form that we would use to go into another classroom and observe what we saw and offer feedback to the teacher.  I can't tell you how scared I was!  The first observation was one of my friends that I am on a team with.  Her name is Michele and she is one of the Spanish teachers at my school.  She was so nice and understanding...Thanks Michele!  At first...