Skip to main content

EEND 679 Artifact #1-Infographics

In module 2, we learned about formative assessments and some tech tools that support different types of formative assessments. For our assignment, we were asked to create an infographic comparing two different tech tool used for formative assessments. An infographic is a comparison tool which helps summarize lots of information in an organized and interesting manner. For my infographic, I used the online platform, Vengage and compared Plickers and Kahoot. I like the concept on an infographic and I would like to try to somehow incorporate it into my PE classes.  I thought about having my students compare sports, fitness concepts, athletes, etc. It may be something they do at home or if we have a rain day and we don't have space to have PE. It's still just and idea, but I'm pretty sure I can get it off the ground by next quarter.

Both Plickers and Kahoot! have wonderful features that can be used for a variety of assessments. In PE, it can be difficult to organize a tech assessment because I do not have a typical classroom. However, with the fad of flexible seating, my students are more comfortable moving about the gym and sitting on the floor to do their work. I first introduced Plickers two years ago when I was trying to get quick information on fitness concepts. I heard great things about it and how easy it was to use. Once I got the hang of it, taking quick assessments became a breeze. My students like using the Plicker cards and think it's a fun way to take their quiz or check for understanding.  They also like how they could see their results on the big screen after I scanned their cards. Through the magical world of Twitter, I have found various ways other PE teachers use Plickers. The most intriguing way is from the blog The Physical Educator. He uses Plickers as a way to see where his students are at with certain skills and knowledge. He has set up the cards as magnets that can be attached to a whiteboard. Then, on the cards, he as added "Not Yet", "Getting There", "Got It", and "Wow". When he scans the magnets, he can see what parts of his lessons need to be modified or changed so that all students will learn and understand.

Kahoot! is a super fun assessment game students love playing. It is a very competitive game. It's crazy how intense the game gets when a Jolly Rancher is on the line. I have been able to set up a few different Kahoot! quizzes for PE.  It has been very helpful for understanding fitness concepts. I've used Kahoot! a few times throughout the school year, however, it does take away some movement time during PE.  Unfortunately, that is with any fun tech tool that I use. In previous blog posts, I have written about my struggle with balancing movement and using technology in PE. I think that's why I prefer Plickers because I can scan it real quick and move on.

Using the link below, you can see my infographic comparing Plickers and Kahoot!. I hope you like it!

Comments

  1. Your infographic is so informative. You shared the best of two great tools!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperdocs 101

I have to admit that I was getting pretty bored with teaching.  I felt like I had hit a plateau and was just going through the motions.  I am pushing on my 15th year teaching.  The excitement of being a new teacher has worn off and it seemed like I was staring down the barrel of 15 more years of boredom.  I definitely needed a boost and a change...enter St. Francis tech courses.  As much as I didn't want to start taking classes, I knew that I needed to.  Not just for the lane change but also for a teaching change.  I had to start making my classes fun and engaging again.  I have enjoyed all the courses so far in this program, however, I felt like I learned the most and got the most out of Engaging e-Learning. Using technology comes easy to me.  My dad is a huge tech guy and I have been on a computer since I was 4 when the old school Atari's were out.  My dad coded a vocabulary game for me to learn my letters and when I would press a ...

I.T. is NOT for Teachers-A Reflection

This course was challenging.  There...I said it out loud.  I have so many mixed feelings about this course.  I almost felt I was back in undergrad when I didn't understand anything I was doing.  This course pushed us beyond our comfort zone into the world of IT.  When we, as teachers, are constantly bombarded with new initiatives, programs, software, hardware.  As soon as something new is presented, we have about a month to figure if we can implement it before it's on to the next new thing.  I swear, they should have infomercials to help us understand what is the limited time offer this month.  As much as we complain about it all, I can only imagine what the IT office sounds like when these come down from admin.  The IT staff has to make sure that all of these new programs and equipment run without issue. This means having a plan in place so that everyone is on the same page and understands the expectations. My Tech Plan is a small sample ...

Oh Boy Administration!

About 7 years ago, I started taking classes to get my administrative licence and 2 weeks into the courses, I realized admin was just not for me.  I love being in front of a class, being silly with my students and making connections with them.  Then, when I took EEND 680, I was dreading it a little. It wasn't about taking a class, I love taking classes and learning, I was dreading it because I knew there were going to be activities where I was going to have to leave the comfort of my gym and explore the "other side".  Enter our "Learning Walk" assignment.  For this assignment, we had to create a form that we would use to go into another classroom and observe what we saw and offer feedback to the teacher.  I can't tell you how scared I was!  The first observation was one of my friends that I am on a team with.  Her name is Michele and she is one of the Spanish teachers at my school.  She was so nice and understanding...Thanks Michele!  At first...