Skip to main content

EEND 678 Artifact #1-PBL

Before taking this course, I had never thought about using a PBL in my PE classes.  I thought a PBL unit could never work in PE.  However, I was pretty surprised that there are many PE teachers who use a PBL unit for multiple aspects of their curriculum.  I was more surprised at how the students were engaged in the units even though it was through PE. For my PBL Outline, I chose to focus on student lesson design.  In middle school, things tend to get lost...literally and figuratively.  I created an essential question:  What does it mean to be physically fit? Students are able to use any prior knowledge, resources, etc to create a lesson to be taught to their classmates.  Students are able to choose how they want to relay the information to their peers.  They are also able to design assessments for their lessons and use various technology.  

I do fully intend to implement this PBL into my classes this year.  My forever challenge is to keep the kids moving while they are working.  I have my own internal struggle because I want the kids to keep moving, but I also feel they need a different approach to learning the material.  The bottom line is that I need to take a leap of faith and just go for it.  I'm not being observed this year so it's the perfect time to fail miserably and perfect the process for the future.        

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your essential question. When each student considers the answer, he or she can really dive deep into their own physical activities and see how fit they are and what they can do to improve their fitness. I know for some, this may be life changing in the long run.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I.T. is NOT for Teachers-A Reflection

This course was challenging.  There...I said it out loud.  I have so many mixed feelings about this course.  I almost felt I was back in undergrad when I didn't understand anything I was doing.  This course pushed us beyond our comfort zone into the world of IT.  When we, as teachers, are constantly bombarded with new initiatives, programs, software, hardware.  As soon as something new is presented, we have about a month to figure if we can implement it before it's on to the next new thing.  I swear, they should have infomercials to help us understand what is the limited time offer this month.  As much as we complain about it all, I can only imagine what the IT office sounds like when these come down from admin.  The IT staff has to make sure that all of these new programs and equipment run without issue. This means having a plan in place so that everyone is on the same page and understands the expectations. My Tech Plan is a small sample ...

Oh Boy Administration!

About 7 years ago, I started taking classes to get my administrative licence and 2 weeks into the courses, I realized admin was just not for me.  I love being in front of a class, being silly with my students and making connections with them.  Then, when I took EEND 680, I was dreading it a little. It wasn't about taking a class, I love taking classes and learning, I was dreading it because I knew there were going to be activities where I was going to have to leave the comfort of my gym and explore the "other side".  Enter our "Learning Walk" assignment.  For this assignment, we had to create a form that we would use to go into another classroom and observe what we saw and offer feedback to the teacher.  I can't tell you how scared I was!  The first observation was one of my friends that I am on a team with.  Her name is Michele and she is one of the Spanish teachers at my school.  She was so nice and understanding...Thanks Michele!  At first...

EEND 679 Reflection

Assessment was always a scary word for me. I always thought they required pencil, paper, and a time limit. As I have been working though the course work for this endorsement, I have learned that assessments can be anything to help you realize if your students are learning what you have intended. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this particular course. I felt that all of the assignments we were asked to create were things that I could use in my PE classes. Module 3 dove into the development of summative and formative assessments.  One of the articles written by the faculty of the NIU Development and Instructional Design Center broke down the components of each type of assessment and explained what each one entails. You can read the full article here . This article can be used as a starting point for many teachers, myself included. However, the more I dove into this article and the others in this module, I realized that I was doing most of the examples in my class...