Skip to main content

The Hiring Process

The hiring process assignment was our first assignment for EEND680.  It wouldn't be an administrative course without an assignment on the hiring process.   We were paired up with another student and created questions for that student to answer.  We then, had to answer their questions in return. As I stated in my previous blog post, I am not a fan of anything administrative but I reluctantly tried to figure out what questions I was going to ask my partner.  I was paired up with Traci and she is brilliant.  I was a little nervous to send her my questions because I had no idea what to ask.  I started looking through the course resources and used Google...oh Google, how you have become my best friend and yet my worst enemy.  There is SO MUCH STUFF ON GOOGLE.  Just weeding through the first page of hits was enough for me to try to figure it out on my own. For example, my 5th interview question is about the 4Cs of education and if there should be a 5th C added to the mix.  I came across this article where the author thinks the 5th C should be connections and this blog post where the author thinks the 5th C should be culture.  I have never heard of a potential 5th C and was curious about Traci's opinion.  Adding connections or culture as a 5th C could go either way.  Both authors have compelling arguments and it may just be a personal preference when utilizing the 4Cs in your classroom.  Once I figured out what I wanted to ask, I shared them with Traci and patiently awaited her responses. When she answered my questions, I knew this was not amateur hour. If Traci were to ever leave her current district and try for someplace else, they would be a fool not to hire her.  Her responses were very thoughtful and she gave amazing examples of her lessons. Click QUESTIONS to view our dialogue.  

My personal favorite of all of Traci's responses was her snap shot of a lesson. I LOVE (just kidding Kim!)...I was excited to see her use of task cards.  It's something so simple, but valuable to allow students to be as self-directed as possible.  I have actually incooperated a PE variation into my classes during our fitness days.  The task cards eliminate the "What do I do now Ms. Wood" when they finish a task.  I have even used them as part of an activity when I need to conference with other students.

This assignment was the first test to see how I did outside of my comfort zone.  I am very glad that I was able to work with someone like Traci because her work pushed me to do better and I got an idea for my own classroom out of it!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperdocs 101

I have to admit that I was getting pretty bored with teaching.  I felt like I had hit a plateau and was just going through the motions.  I am pushing on my 15th year teaching.  The excitement of being a new teacher has worn off and it seemed like I was staring down the barrel of 15 more years of boredom.  I definitely needed a boost and a change...enter St. Francis tech courses.  As much as I didn't want to start taking classes, I knew that I needed to.  Not just for the lane change but also for a teaching change.  I had to start making my classes fun and engaging again.  I have enjoyed all the courses so far in this program, however, I felt like I learned the most and got the most out of Engaging e-Learning. Using technology comes easy to me.  My dad is a huge tech guy and I have been on a computer since I was 4 when the old school Atari's were out.  My dad coded a vocabulary game for me to learn my letters and when I would press a ...

Oh Boy Administration!

About 7 years ago, I started taking classes to get my administrative licence and 2 weeks into the courses, I realized admin was just not for me.  I love being in front of a class, being silly with my students and making connections with them.  Then, when I took EEND 680, I was dreading it a little. It wasn't about taking a class, I love taking classes and learning, I was dreading it because I knew there were going to be activities where I was going to have to leave the comfort of my gym and explore the "other side".  Enter our "Learning Walk" assignment.  For this assignment, we had to create a form that we would use to go into another classroom and observe what we saw and offer feedback to the teacher.  I can't tell you how scared I was!  The first observation was one of my friends that I am on a team with.  Her name is Michele and she is one of the Spanish teachers at my school.  She was so nice and understanding...Thanks Michele!  At first...

I.T. is NOT for Teachers-A Reflection

This course was challenging.  There...I said it out loud.  I have so many mixed feelings about this course.  I almost felt I was back in undergrad when I didn't understand anything I was doing.  This course pushed us beyond our comfort zone into the world of IT.  When we, as teachers, are constantly bombarded with new initiatives, programs, software, hardware.  As soon as something new is presented, we have about a month to figure if we can implement it before it's on to the next new thing.  I swear, they should have infomercials to help us understand what is the limited time offer this month.  As much as we complain about it all, I can only imagine what the IT office sounds like when these come down from admin.  The IT staff has to make sure that all of these new programs and equipment run without issue. This means having a plan in place so that everyone is on the same page and understands the expectations. My Tech Plan is a small sample ...